As another blistering Arizona summer approaches, it’s so important to make sure that everyone stays cool and hydrated as best they can. This is particularly true for seniors, who are at a highest risk for overheating complications such as dehydration and heat stroke.
Wellness for Seniors: Staying Cool While Staying Active in the Arizona Heat
There are a number of ways for you to ensure that your older loved ones are getting the exercise and nutrition they need without risking their health in direct heat:
- Always ensure that seniors (and anyone else) drink water when they are thirsty and have constant easy access to clean, cold water. The Mayo Clinic recommends that men should drink about 13 cups of water a day, and women should drink 9 cups per day – and that’s in a moderate climate. Here in Arizona, you will want to increase that.
- Exercising when it is hot out may not be the best solution to your physical needs, but it’s important to continue to exercise. Indoor exercises and swimming are a couple of great options. If you do want to exercise outside, try to plan on doing it early in the morning before everything has had a chance to heat up.
- When it comes to food, make dishes that are full of fresh fruits and vegetables that can help you and your loved ones stay hydrated naturally, as well as provide important salts and electrolytes. Some excellent hydrating foods include iceberg lettuce, peaches, cantaloupe, cucumbers, tomatoes, and watermelon.
- Ensure that air conditioning units are functioning properly. You do not want problems with your AC on a 120 degree day!
- Keep blinds closed during the tail end of the day (a few hours before sundown) to keep the inside of your home cooler.
- Make sure that you are dressed properly for the heat– shorts, short-sleeved or sleeveless shirts, and breathable material.
- For leisure activities or “free” days, look into things that are indoors, specifically in air-conditioned spaces such as museums, aquariums, shopping centers, etc.
Here at Celestial Care, our team of dedicated caregivers is passionate about providing the highest level of quality care to patients and their families in their home. Contact us today to learn more about how Celestial Care can change your quality of life.